Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Personal Statement

As I mature into a woman preparing for college, I am becoming more aware of those people around me. Seeking advice and searching for words of wisdom, I find myself in awe of a man not related through blood, but one who has always been there for me in one way or another. He is my uncle, Pat Knobbe. Pat and my aunt Marcy were high school sweethearts and after 25 long years are still in love. In a society like the one we live in today, it is refreshing to be loved and cared for by two such remarkable people.

Pat was salutatorian of his graduating class in 1985. After graduating with scholarships and grants that paid for most of his education, he pursued his dream of becoming an architect. During his years of schooling he traveled across Europe studying the styles of architecture that he still implements into the custom homes he designs today. Pat and his cousin Steve co-own a custom home business called Advance Design and Construction.

Pat's dedication and strive for the utmost quality in any task is absolutely marveling. It would be fair to call him a "workaholic" and a "perfectionist" because of the ridiculously long hours he puts in at the office, and the amount of time and effort he gives to his most demanding clients outside of his scheduled work time. But through the hustle and bustle of his hectic work agenda I see his determination to provide a comfortable life for him and his wife. I know for him it gets tiring not having a moment to himself, but there has never been a task that I have known Pat not to finish. For me, a teenager still, it is easy to give up on one thing and move on to something new, but I have learned from Pat that that is the last thing to do if I want to be successful. Going into college I know I will be in challenging classes and situations that I cannot simply give up on and when I persevere through them I will always think of my uncle Pat.

Three years ago Pat and the rest of our family received a phone call from our family doctor informing us that Marcy had been diagnosed with osteosarcoma, or bone cancer, in her right leg. As I described before, Pat is always on the go and rarely stops to take a rest, but when he received this phone call his life was literally turned upside down. Pat rushed home that day, canceling every appointment in his book. I watched as this man with a noble attitude, who once had all the answers, now looked to other people for help - like me. Even at the age of 13 I was able to recognize the pain he was in and even though he is an independent man, he still needed help. To me that said a lot about his character. He set aside his pride and realized that for once a situation was out of his control. The past three years have been extremely difficult for both Pat and Marcy. Fortunately Marcy is cancer free, but she has had a total of four surgeries on her knee and femur, and still suffers from aches and pains in her leg. Their struggles are not over, but to be in the place where they are now took courage and bravery that I will always look back on for guidance in each situation I am in.

When I began high school I would come home with stories about typical teenage "drama." One evening Pat, Marcy, and I were eating dinner and I was talking up a storm as usual when Pat stopped me mid-sentence. He said, "Don't forget, Justine that high school is only four years of your life," he paused using his forefinger and thumb to measure a very tiny distance emphasizing this miniscule amount of time, "you have your whole life ahead of you." His comment held no sarcasm or humor, only an underlying message that I now understand. He wanted me to take a step back from that day and look beyond the four years I would live to my life I envision now. I have been so grateful for his wise words because they have kept me focused and in line.

Pat does not have to do anything other than to be himself to make an impact on me. It is his outstanding work ethic, acclaimed character, and truly admirable outlook on life that distinguishes him in my eyes. Without a doubt I will use what he has taught me throughout my years as a college student and well into adulthood.

Thank you, Pat!

Below: Pat and I in San Francisco this summer

No comments:

Post a Comment