Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Last Blog

Servicing and Learning Together

Having a chance to interact with a younger student, about to embark on their journey into high school and then on to college has been a great experience. Our student was thirteen year old Dominique. Although this girl is young she had so much to offer my partner, Tionne and I. We did four projects with her over a four week period that should prepare her for the years ahead.

First was the Dream Career Collage. We took about half a dozen magazines to the Boys and Girls Club in North Omaha and began cutting out photos that symbolized what career Dominique wanted to pursue. She wants to be a fashion designer and someday own her own business. This is was not challenging at all to find high fashion photos in magazines. Her collage turned out great. It was full of her ambitions and drive.

Second was the PowerPoint made by my partner and I that presented information about Dominique's dream career to her. I think that by presenting this PowerPoint to her we informed her of things she didn't know. That made my partner and I feel great that we are really helping her to think ahead to how to achieve her future goals.

Third was the Career Essay. This activities was a little challenging, only because throughout the meeting my partner and I wanted to write the paper for her, but we didn't because this is her future. The paper turned out great because it was all in her own words and you could really feel her mind set in preparing for her future.

Last was the Action Plan. We, summer scholars, had to write up an action plan of our own that specified how we were going to go about out plans to get into college and to receive scholarships. With Dominique we specified what classes she will need to take plenty of during high school and what all she can do to prepare for a career as a fashion designer owning her own business.

I think Dominique benefited tremendously from this experience, as did I and Tionne. I hope that she will use what we have taught and presented her with to her advantage in her future. This has been a rewarding experiencing educating the youth in my city.

No comments:

Post a Comment