Friday, June 12, 2009

Blog #1: My First Week as a College Student!

It's weird to think that I have already survived my first week of college and I haven't even graduated from my high school yet! This week has been full of so much. Meeting new people, trying new things, and going to new places.

I got off to a rocky start. On my first day I was so nervous, but even that wasn't an excuse to park in a metered parking stall all day. I walked out to my car, so relieved I had made it through my first day to see a yellow parking ticket stuck beneath my car's windshield wipers! I was so mad at myself for the dumb mistake, but I was sure to pay the ticket the next day.

The rest of my week was much better though. My class I'm enrolled in is Philosophy. It's so interesting but it's also just as challenging. I was happy to have gotten a teacher who isn't intimidating and is open to any questions me or my classmates might have. I learned quickly that keeping up with the reading and really paying attention in class is the key to understanding anything.

Something I have to say that I really enjoyed about my first week is the amount of freedom I have. Sometimes after class I'll stick around the campus and just read in the Student Center or finish my homework in the library. UNO's campus offers so many great study environments and it's easy to concentrate on what you're doing.

I think that the most challenging thing for me in this program will be managing my time correctly. Part of the whole "college experience" is having fun and meeting new people which is what I'm in the process of doing, but I know I'll have to work hard to enjoy anything else.

So far I have learned how independent I am. I enjoy putting myself into a new environment and learning the ropes all over again. Don't get me wrong - I was very nervous jumping into the situation, but once I was in I couldn't stop going. I can't wait to live in the dorms for all of next week and further my college experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment