Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Week On Campus

This week has been a long and exciting one!!! On Sunday we checked into Scott's Residence Hall and then headed to the Carol Joy Holland Camp in Ashland where we would meet our biggest challenge of this program yet.


Our group was divided into two smaller groups called "Achieve" and "Succeed". I was on team "Succeed". That day we were put into our harnesses and helmets, prepared for our adventures in the air. I was so scared. Why? I can't think of anything other than being afraid to try something new. I was angry with myself for being scared to challenge myself. So I pushed myself in a way I never thought I would. I volunteered to go first! I shot my hand in the air and headed 50 feet above the ground to where I'd meet one of my biggest fears: Falling - Failing. As soon as I took my first step onto the board in front of me I felt amazing. So powerful and brave. Then I heard my teammates yelling "You can do it Justine!" and "You're doing great!". The reinforcement was priceless and so helpful. I got through the whole course and went on to the rock wall twice. I felt invincible - like I could take on anything. I do have to say that my teammates contributed immensely to that feeling. Without them I would have just been scared.


Above: The Rockwall Below:Some of the high ropes course


Through out the week here we have done numerous activities, all with one common goal: Branching out. In the Mojo Hunt (scavenger hunt around the N. Campus) we were divided into small groups and had a chance to network with various offices and members of faculty on campus. Then, during Battle of the Scholars we were again divided into smaller groups, my group was called Bass Jam. We went around to four stations with various activities focusing on the importance of communication with all sorts of people. We also had a chance to go to the HPER building (workout center) and work out before that night's Ice Cream Social! Ha ha. All the activities were great and it was definitely a great way to get to know my peers better!

This week it's been hard to balance my play time with my work time. My philosophy class got very intense and I had an exam on Thursday! My classmates and I stayed up on Wednesday night and had a legitamate study group in the hallway! It was so fun because once again we got to bond and we also helped eachother with the questions we had. I am still waiting on that exam grade.... wish me luck. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment